Experiment - Forum Monopoly!

Gorny

Staff member
Mar 16, 2020
I'm thinking of running a forum based monopoly game. This is only an experiment to see how it would work.

I need four people to use as experimental players.

I will have to map out the board and figure things out before starting.

The winner of this experimental Monopoly game will get to pick their role and factional alignment in my next mafia game..

I'll give 48 hours for a fourth player to sign upn if no I go ahead with three

Once signup is closed, I will post on how I will run this thing

The winner of this experimental Monopoly game will get to pick their role and factional alignment in my next mafia game..
Sweet. I always wanted to be a mafia cop. Nice to be able to investigate who the townies are! :D

Will update tomorrow.

Sounds great! Either throw an PM or tag in a post. Then I'll see it. I rarely browse the forums.

I'm going to try to run this as best as I can.

Three possible Startups, you all vote on what you want:

1. Standard: Everyone starts with $1500. No properties assigned. Standard rules as to when you land on a property as far as buying or passing on it. Passing on a property and not buying it initiates an auction where I as the bank, auction the property off to the players. Also standard rules as to rolling doubles three times end up in jail, standard prices on titles and mortgaging titles for cash. The bank has $20,580.00 total INCLUDING the $1500.00 given to each player at the start. Standard Chance and Community Chest cards are used. Passing Go is $200.00

2. Accelerated Start. Each player is randomly assigned one of each colored property, not including Utilities or RR Lines. So, in this rule set, one property of each color is assigned at random to each player. I'll do a round robin sort of thing, first picking a player, assigning a property at random, then moving to the next player and assigning another property, and so on. Money amounts in the bank and given to each player are doubled. So everyone starts with $3,000.00 and the bank has $41,160.00. Standard Chance and Community Chest cards are used. Passing Go is 400.00

3. Out For Blood. All properties, including RR and Utilities are assigned at random to all players. You might end up with a Monopoly off the bat. Or not. The bank has 4x the starting cash or $82, 320.00. There will be a few surprise cards in Community Chest and Chance. There might be a few other surprises too. Passing go is 800.00

In any event, no matter what rules are used, the following apply:

The number of houses and hotels are the same as in a standard Monopoly game.

Players may make trade offers with other players at any time. This will be done via PM, just copy me on said PM. Players may offer anything in trade, as long as it fits Monopoly rules. Cash, Chance/Community Chest cards or other properties. Houses and Hotels may not be traded.

Auctions: With everyone being in different time zones and possibly being at work or having something going on, we should decide on a time limit for someone to respond to an auction. An auction takes place when a player passes on buying a property. The next player's turn cannot take place until either the auction expires
(no one bids), or someone wins. As far as auctions go, it is up to all players to decide if they want to bid on a property. No one is forced to do so. So if a player passes and an auction begins, the player that passed can decide not to bid and if no one else bids, the property remains assigned to the bank.

If all players agree, you can opt to have the game run (regardless of rule set) without auctions. This means that if someone lands on a property and passes on buying on it, it remains owned by the bank, rent must be paid however.

Standard function on "going to jail" if doubles are rolled three times consecutively. Players may opt to pay 50.00 to get out of jail,use a "get out of jail free" card if they have one. or attempt to roll doubles to escape. Exception: in rule set two the fine is doubled to $100.00 to get out. In rule set 3 it's $300.00.

All fines paid to Chance/Community Chest and Fees paid to get out of Jail end up in "The Pot" in the center of the board, and can be won by a player.

Tracking player moves, spaces landed on, etc:

I was going to number all of the properties but decided not to. I'mm have a large image of the board, everyone starts at go. I will role the dice (using a dice app) and keep track of where players land, what properties are owned or unowned and so forth in a microsoft word document.

General game information will be posted to the thread and updated. This will include: where a player currently is, what properties are owned or mortgaged, how much money a player still has, the number of houses or hotels, etc.

Auctions are done in game thread. Ideally, trade offers can be made in game thread also. But if I am not online, they will have to be finalized by me on completion, meaning I have to edit my notes as to whohas what and update the game thread.

I'll post more later as I think of things.

Questions or comments welcome.

I was going to do 4 players, but we can allow Sir Noodle to be mr. fifth.

@Skjolde
@Leopold Stotch
@D2DC
@coju
@Noodle

Side project:

If "Out For Blood" wins the votes, I may add some themed forum titles and names to the properties and chance/com chest cards.

Feel free to PM suggestions.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High